GREAT WRITING STILL PAYS OFF
HBO's Emmy takeover proved to me that the onslaught of reality TV can't beat great shows with great writing and acting. I admit, I do like a few reality shows like Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, The Apprentice, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, most of the HGTV shows and sometimes Newlyweds. But I'd take any original series over a reality trend.
If you take a look at the final numbers below, you will see where the genius of television lies. Please note this message from the The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences:
"In addition to Emmys in 27 categories announced last night, Emmys in 62 other categories and areas for programs and individual achievements were presented at the Creative Arts Awards on September 12 from the Shrine Auditorium."
HBO 32
FOX 10
NBC 8
ABC 7
PBS 7
A&E 4
Cartoon Network 2
CBS 2
Comedy Central 2
Discovery Channel 2
Showtime 2
UPN 2
USA 2
BRAVO 1
FX 1
LIFETIME 1
NICKELODEON 1
WB 1
With so many channels (hence competition) on Cable TV these days, you would think that other channels would put out some competition. I guess not. *shrug*
In addition to the lack of competition, the best shows ended this year: Angel, Sex and the City and Friends. I was so sad when they ended. As for Frasier, sometimes I liked it but Cheers was much funnier to me. I didn't really vibe with the show too well. But I did enjoy the finale.
I do hope that other TV stations find themselves rethinking the value of reality TV over great actors/actresses and screenplay writers. I also hope that Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel creator Joss Whedon invents another slammin' TV series. I'm tired of these Everwood, The OC, Seventh Heaven dramas. The only TV show I look forward to the most is Alias - and it won't start until January 2005! (Maybe I should get the DVDs and catch up. Just like what I am doing with Sex and the City. I need to buy Season 5 and 6.)
No comments:
Post a Comment