TRANSMISSION THEATER

Last night, I spontaneously went to a Mystic concert in the City. She's an underground rapper and singer from Oakland. She sings this dope song called, "The Life." Anyways, I met 2 friends of friends and one asked me, "Are you one of the dancers?" I was confused and simply said, "No." Went I got inside, there was a b-girl contest. I then understood what she meant...then I thought, "Great. * asshole * is going to be here." And he was.

I didn't feel anything - except the "I-don't-want-to-talk-to-him-or-be-near-him" kinda feeling. I made sure I had the visuals on him (from across the room) so I could move away if he got to my side. I avoided eye contact the whole time. But I lost him during a round of the b-girl battle. Minutes later, * asshole * tapped me on the shoulder and waved "Hi." I happened to be standing next to some of his friends. I didn't know it was him until I waved back. I just saw a hand in the air (he's short). It was a reflex! "Great." I thought, "I reacted."

When the Conscious Daughters (2 underground female rappers from Oakland) went on, a homegirl of his (I found out later) was standing right behind me. I heard some rawkus, I turned around and saw * asshole *. I just turned my attention back to the show, completely ignoring him. Then minutes later, he tapped me again and we exchanged a few words re: his homegirl and his crew. And again, I just turned away.

I still paid attention to where he was, to keep my guard up and to steer clear. In spite of him being there, * asshole * didn't phase me. I had fun with my friends, made new ones and bumped to some bomb-ass music. The place wasn't packed but the vibe was dope.

I guess last night was God's birthday gift to me. I needed to get over some issues re: * asshole * and I got the closure I needed. Yes! So...what now? Well, I like keeping * asshole * where he is now - at a distance. So that's that.

No comments: