IT'S BEEN OVER 200 YEARS...
...and you'd think that this nation would have their voting procedures together. The Associated Press reported problems all over the nation.

One of the problems involved volunteer tardiness. A poll didn't open until half-an-hour after they were supposed to open. If someone normally woke up at 6:00am, Daylight Savings Time would get them up at 5:00am, making them one hour early. I guess DST didn't really give these volunteers that extra hour.

In swing-state Florida, a memory card in "an optical scan voting machine failed Monday at an early voting site and didn't count 13,000 ballots." The fill-in-the-bubble ballots have to be counted today. No only that but "most of the ATM-style machines, including all of Florida's, lack paper records that could be used to verify the electronic results in a recount." Florida's swing state status is more notorious now than ever. Four years after the BUSH 537 victory-votes, Florida still doesn't have it together. Maybe brother Bush has something to do with it.

Three voting machines were broken at a New Orleans precinct. Voters were asked to come back later. Were these machines all at the same poll? I don't know but I do know that this must have happened at previous elections in other precincts. And if so, wouldn't you think that there would be a constigency plan?

I don't know what the future of voting will be. If it's not human error, rigged ballots, electronic failure or a small volunteer force, it's going to be something. My bet is with a simpler system that doesn't required too much dependency on electronics. Why? Because computer viruses exist. If not now, they will. A virus generator may get hired to write one up. Who knows? But I do know one thing, if we can get an astronaut to vote from the space station, we can find a way to fix this system.

No comments: