"WHY DON'T LOTTERY WINNERS JUST RUN WILD?"

So I read this article on SFGate and got to thinking: What would my inner wild child wanna do if I won all this money?"

To be honest, I am not sure. My practical priorities would be to secure a future 1) without debt and 2) with Bay Area real estate. I want a solar-powered house with a hybrid car in the garage. All of this before I feed my unfulfilled love of luxurious things. Like a pimped, classic ride for the weekends.

According to the description of my astrological sign, I love luxury. Yesterday, that description was confirmed in my mind because I like nice things - even the ones that are affordable for most people. I will still shop at thrift stores because that is just the budget watching side of me. But I do want a few designer clothes, furniture and expensive art because you just can't find a replacement for quality.

However, giving back to the world is also a very important value of mine. This was a value I also confirmed in my mind yesterday. Luxury and giving back aren't necessarily two clashing worlds but it seems so at times. The rich are rich because of the exploitation of underprivileged people whether it's in the present (self-made millionaires) or the past (for those who inherited fortunes). Despite the dichotomy, some rich people throw benefits or donate to their favorite charities. Maybe for publicity, maybe for true concern.

My philanthrophic fantasy is to be rich and anonymous so I could do these things for the latter reason. My investments will include a restaurant for everyday dining as well as one for high dining. I'd donate food for fundraising functions or conferences dedicated to helping the less fortunate. I'd host events at my restaurants to help fund effective homeless programs in the City.

One of my friends told me this once: in order to change the world, you have to have two things: money and power. After some time in the real world, I've witness how these two things can change things faster than grass roots efforts. Don't get me wrong. I respect grass roots efforts but I think they need the money and the power to get let themselves have roots and wings. So, with this knowledge, I would donate money to my favorite, effective charities and give back to the community. I already have several organizations in mind.

I guess the wild part of my lottery dream is still missing. Splurging and giving back isn't really wild. Hm...I know! I'd bribe Martin Scorcese to hire me as a main extra in a sexy, action, romance, whodunit movie starring all of my Top 5 men: Benjamin Bratt, Chris Oprsk (Guess and Phat Farm model), Barry Pepper (snipper from Saving Private Ryan), Rockmond Dunbar (Kenny on Showtime's Soul Food) and Boris Kodjoe (Damon in Showtime's Soul Food and Kelby Dawson in Brown Sugar)! I have to laminate this list before I win the lotto! Yeah, this would definitely be wild!

No comments: