CORRECTION
The title of the Broadway play is Top Dog/Underdog. The main characters are Abe Lincoln and John Wilkes Booth. I saw the review in the SF Chronicle today.

Here's a side note: Jeffrey Wright and Mos Def starred in the original play. The SF version at the Curran Theatre has Harold Perrineau as Lincoln and Larry Gilliard Jr. as Booth. I Congo-ed with Harold outside the set of The Matrix: Reloaded and Revelations !

RUNNER-UP CALLER
This morning, my foggy commute started off little slow. I needed to be in the office by 8:00am. The time was 8:17am. My white Toyota Corolla accelerated then slowed down several times. Each radio station bored me until I clicked on button #5.

KBLX 102.9 announced a prize winning game. Name the movie and win a prize. Arnold Schwartzenegger's voice blared through my stock speakers.

"This is a public building. There are 6 exits out of here....Take this gun. *magazine clicks in*... By the way, I work alone."

Then, one tiny word came out of the woman's mouth. The light bulb in my head turned on. "VANESSA WILLIAMS! This movie is ERASURE!!!!" I thought.

DJ Kevin Brown blurted out "800-683" I grab my cell phone.

"800-683-what?!" I asked the radio. The left hinge is broken so I careful opened it as fast as I can.

Then I heard, "800-683-KDLX." I dialed the numbers.

Again Kevin Brown, "Caller #9! 800-683-KBLX!"

"Argh! B not D!"

Busy. Busy again. Ringing!

"Caller Number 8!" *click*

OMIGOD! I hurried and called again, knowing some other person just became caller #9. But if I do become #9, "What do I say?" I wondered.

"KBLX!" or "I just got in the car, I don't even know what this is for!"

The phone was ringing again. This time for a long time.

The found themselves a winner already. In defeat, I listened for the last of R. Kelly's "I Believe I Fly."

Kevin Brown's voice returned. "Caller #9! What is your name?"

"Shannon."

"You win two tickets..."

Anxious, I think, "Two tickets to what?!"

"...two tickets to the movie 'Two Hot Dogs, Underdogs' Pulitzer Prize winning Drama."

"Oh. That's all?"

The traffic then cleared.

No comments: