LONG TIME NO BLOG
Wow, my last entry was the end of August. My bad.

I just got back from LA this morning. I had an early flight so I could make it to work. BUT I got sick last night and managed to break my fever by 4am so I could take my heavy bags to the car rental return and the airport. It was tough, but I managed to use whatever energy I had to get on my way back to the Bay.

Getty Center
I went to the Getty Center. It was a dope place. I didn't go inside to see the exhibits. I just enjoyed the architecture and the gardens. Hopefully my B&W picks will come out well. I also went to Rodeo Drive for the first time. Well, I drove on it with 2 friends and realized: "That's it?!" I swear it was a longer street. If I walked it, I probably would have appreciated it more. But, I do have to say, I was diggin' the stores on Beverly Drive - one street over. Mainly because it was more in my price range.

Giant Robot
What else...I checked out the Giant Robot Store. Giant Robot is a magazine and it now has a store in LA. It's cute, small. I found this lil' art pocket book for $5. Everything else was alright. The store is on Sawtelle off Santa Monica Blvd. It is in an area with all these Japanese stores.

West Hollywood vs. Castro
I also cruised down Santa Monica Blvd around West Hollywood. I think driving up Market through the Castro is much better - more to see.

Green Way Open Theater
When I was at Giant Robot, I picked up this lil' guide to LA's nightlife. I saw something for Tuesday night: Green Way Open Theater on N. Fairfax Ave. It was a poetry event and it was free! So after having dinner with my homegirls at King's Hawaiian in Torrance (finding that place was a bitch - even though, I foung out, it was only 5 minutes from my hotel), I checked it out. It took me FOREVER to find the theater! I swear, since LA is so dependent on the car, you'd think the cities would put lit street signs (I couldn't see shit at 5am near the airport) or one at all (Sepulveda at Hawthorne in Torrance). The store fronts and house should also have their addresses up! I was on Fairfax and I couldn't see an address in sight. I had to pay attention to the small street signs at the lamp posts to see what number block I was on. Sometimes I had to drive around teh block to see what the sign said cause it was so small and I could drive slow to peer at the signs (impatient cars behind me). I ended up driving the entire Fairfax Avenue to get to my destination. Good thing I got there and got to see some people recite their poems. If I didn't, I would have been P.O.ed.

So...LA
I got used to driving on the 405 and i got familiar with LA the city and Torrance. So that was cool. My brother drove me through Long Beach's new waterfront. It's nice. I wanna check that out again the next time I am down there. LA isn't so bad. It still sucks in some ways, but I think I have a great understanding of that place. So, in that sense, it's all good.

No comments: