A B.A.R.T. MEMOIR - AUGUST 5, 2002
As I was boarding the BART train to Colma during rush hour, some random Black guy asked, “Can I ride with you to Montgomery?” My back was turned so I looked over my shoulder, wondering if he was talking to me. I couldn’t really make eye contact because I was right behind people trying to board. At the same time I thought, “It was only one station away from Embarcadero. WTF?” I think he was trying to catch an incoming train to the East Bay because he looked like he was in a hurry, too. So, why go the opposite direction?

When I stepped into the train he asked, “Are you single?” I was still confused – was he talking to me? Not that I was interested or attracted to the guy in the red and navy All-star jersey, it was just confusing in all the rush. Oh well. He didn’t matter to me anyway. I was keeping an eye on someone else on the platform - WB. Even as I walked through the car, pretending to look for a seat, in reality, I was looking for a better view.

No comments: