SUPER SIZE ME
This weekend I was watching some movie/documentary on DirectTV. I wasn't interested in it until my BF told me what it is about: a fast food diet. It is similar to that book Fast Food Nation but better!
Instead of learning historical facts about Carl's Jr., Burger King, McDonald's and the like, you follow a guy through a McDonald's diet and track his health every so often. The doctors would compare the differences between his health before he started this diet and then periodically during the diet. There were some eye-opening finds! His liver started to get affected - as if he drank alot. They didn't know that a high fat, fast food diet would affect someone's liver!
Super Size Me also enters several schools and documents two nutritional menus. One with a fast food, sugary, highly processed menu supplied by some company (I forget the name). They are also known to supply prisons all over the U.S. The surprising part wasn't this fact but the comparison made between another school menu. A school with what society would call "derelicts" changed their menu to a low-fat, all natural foods. This means, no processed or frieds foods. They serve lots of fruits, veggies and baked meals like lasagna. The teachers noticed that the students concentrated better, performed better and weren't as hyper as they were before. This is what caught my attention the most.
Right before I have kids, my parents, my relatives and every babysitter will be required to watch this movie. Foreals. No soda, no fast food. Only once in awhile and awhile being once a month. I don't want to deprive my future kids from being part of society, but I do want them to eat healthy and not be one of the obese kids I used to watch on The Maury Povich Show.
So, if you want to check out this movie, I think it's on DVD. If you have DirectTV, it's playing on Showtime.
No comments:
Post a Comment