POOR CHICKENS!
Back in 1999, someone told me some rumors about KFC's chicken farms. This small article from the SF Chronicle reminded me of them and other animal farm practices for pigs.
For those of you that know me, I am a carnivore and will always be. I, however, feel disturbed when I read books like, Fast Food Nation, or read articles shedding light on an animal's life before the slaughterhouse. It makes me think twice before sinking my teeth into a KFC chicken thigh (read below) or Chicken McNuggets (these aren't as healthy as we think they are). I know I will not become a vegetarian or a vegan. I will most likely avoid eating these kinds of meals or I will eat them very, very rarely.
Beastie Boys Join Chicken Campaign
Rap trio the Beastie Boys have joined People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals' campaign to boycott fast-food chain Kentucky Fried Chicken.
In a letter to KFC boss David Novak, the rappers call the company "out of tune" for alleged cruelty techniques they use to make sure their birds are "perfect" for consumers.
The Beastie Boys write, "You need to require that your suppliers stop chopping the beaks off of birds and require that they stop drugging chickens to grow so big they can't even walk."
The trio aren't the only celebrities involved in the PETA campaign -- Pamela Anderson and Reverend Al Sharpton have also made pleas to Novak to change the way chickens are treated before they become fast food.
No comments:
Post a Comment