AH, YOUTH!
Last weekend, I went home to San Diego to see some old friends at an "Unreunion" - an informal reunion held at a park near Sea World. Theturnout was low, the day a mixture of wind, overcast clouds and sun. Speed boats and jet ski's zoomed over the blue water of Mission Bay. I felt like I was some place foreign yet familiar. It was nice being close to the water and not shivering.

I also went through some old letters my friends wrote to me in junior high. Remember those days? These letters were written during class and delivered during passing periods. We all knew when we would see each other. Each friend folded their letters differently. One homegirl made her's into triangles all the time. Others made hearts or simple squares. Every letter contained some puppy love angst or nonsense indicating boredom. I shared a few with Frankie. Here's a paragraph from one of my funny friends:

You know, my sister's stupid. You know those baby powder maxi pads? She took one and ripped it open. She's all, "I don't get it. Where's the baby powder?!" Dumb, huh?

I cracked up reading this letter to Frankie! It was so hilarious!

I also read a letter from another friend. This time, what caught my eye were these acronyns we wrote at the end of each letter:

TCCGC - Take Care 'Cause Grace Cares (also TCCIC - Take Care 'Cause I Care)
KIT - Keep In Touch
SSS -
RMA - Remember Me Always
DEC -
FRANCE -
HOFLAND -
ROME -
LYLAS - Love Ya Like A Sis
FFEN -

The ones that are blank are the ones I forgot. If you remember what they stand for, email me.

Those were good times! I am happy to say that all of the letters I received are from friends that are still in my life. I am thankful for our friendship's longevity and I pray they continue as we get older.

I MISSED IT
My last blog entry announced the arrival of the Perseid Meteor Shower. A fw of my friends went to the Chabot Space Observatory last Wednesday night. I, unfortunately, experienced a foggy night and didn't see anything. I also made my way to Oakland to fetch Frankie and head over to Chabot. But alas, I was too tired to drive all the way over there. Plus, I would have had to keep him up 'til 3am so we could see this natural wonder. Since this is an annual event, I will definitely check it out next year. It just won't be a new moon. But that's OK.

No comments: