PURGING
For the past few months, my eyes stayed glued to TLC and HDTV. They air lots of home improvement shows but one got me thinking about having too much stuff.
Clean Sweep gets tough with homeowners. Purging is no joke as they sort lots of stuff by asking themselves: Do I really use this? Everything is sorted by the following
1) Keep
2) Sell
3) Trash
Everything not sold goes to charity.
I sell my old clothes at Crossroads and Buffalo Exchange. THey buy per season so it's good to know what season they are buying for. March is when they select for Spring and Summer. August (I think) select for Fall and Winter. What I don't sell I donate to Goodwill.
When I was at the San Francisco Main Library, I noticed their collection lacks recent books...recent as in within the past 5 years or so. I talked with someone and they said they do accept donations. The books the library doesn't accept goes out to their used book store on the Grove Street side of the library. Today, the San Francisco Chronicle wrote a story on how to purge out books to other libraries, charities and used book stores. It's a very a good purge reference.
For those with extra or old Apple computer hardware and software, California Lawyers for the Arts need G3s. They also need office management software.
As for knickknacks, I usually try and sell them with a yard sale. Otherwise, they are donated to Goodwill or Salvation Army. I want to donate to more useful local charities like homelessness but I haven't found a good resource yet. If anyone reads or knows of anything, please let me know.
No comments:
Post a Comment