NINANGS
My ninang lives in Toronto. I never grew up with her. This trip allowed me to meet her again for the fourth or fifth time (the first one or two I was a baby).

Today, my mom and I went out with my Ninang. When people meet her, people assume she is Indian (boom-bai in Tagalog). But she is Filipino!

Like many ninongs and ninangs, they pamper their godchildren. My self-sufficiency embraced the generosity hesitantly. I don't expect her to spend money on me. Quality time suffices. But she bought me and mom things without any worry of monetary limits.

Ninang can spot a bargain! She purchased everything on sale. The quality remained high. We carried bags like in the movies: hands full! Not all of it was for me, of course.

My titas and my cousin hosted us and we wanted to give them thank you gifts. Tita Nati cooks. Tita Zon tells endless stories. Kuya Vic orients me to the area. Hopefully they will like what we bought for them.

After the shopping spree, my ninang had merienda a the condo. They all exchange funny stories and health problems. From FEU days between her and my mom to cholesterol levels and TIA experiences, I wanna be healthy! At forty, Kuya Vic has high blood sugar. Tita Zon recovered from a stroke. Tita Nati's knees give her problems occassionally. Mom experiences hot flashes and high sugar levels, too. "What do I need to do to avoid all these ailments despite my famly's health history?" I wonder.

After a couples of hours, my answer arrives, "Just eat right and exercise. Vent out stress and laugh often." That's all we can do, right?

No comments: