SHARK ATTACK
A few days ago, a woman died from a great white shark attack off Avila Beach in San Luis Obispo County. KTVU Channel 2 Evening News in the San Francisco Bay Area said she was wearing a wetsuit and the shark probably thought she was a seal or a sea lion. It was reported that she was swiming near them. The newsreporter interviewed a mother and said she was concerned because her kid wears a wetsuit when he swims at the beach. This pissed me off because I just saw Shark Week on the Discovery Channel a few days ago.
Sharks attack people without wetsuits, too. People's silouettes and movement attracts sharks. They can see them against the daylight pernetrating the water. Also, the movement of the water alerts sharks to potential prey. If people were still in the water, vertically or horizontally, the shark would not notice you. It has nothing to do with wearing a wetsuit. Since the woman was wearing fins and in the vicinity of a bunch of seals, then that's understandable. But they did not mention the fins in the broadcast, only on the website. Watching the news showed me that watching documentaries on Discovery or Nova is worth it. If I were a surfer or an ocean swimmer, then I would know that wearing wetsuit don't mean jack when it comes to sharks. As for wearing fins and swimming near seals? Well, that's something I wouldn't do.
No comments:
Post a Comment