STARTING OVER
The creators of The Real World and Road Rules are casting for a new show called Starting Over. They are looking for women who want to change thier lives due to a stagnant career, failed relationship, huge debt or whatever. Unlike their two hit reality series, this one is not limited to women 18-24 years old. As long as you are at least 18, you qualify for the show. It's set in Chicago and the time commitment is 6-10 weeks.
I found this all out on www.bunim-murray.com by accident. My friend wanted to know more about the casting call for the next The Real World in San Diego. So I surfed through MTV.com and found the Bunim-Murray link.
Out of all the reality shows, these original ones are the best. The market is oversaturated and most of them suck (i.e. Married by America) but some are pretty cool (i.e. Fame). Since I am much familiar with these kinds of shows, I've leanred that it's a pretty risky thing to do in terms of your reputation. Oh, and in terms of your family's self-respect (especially if you are Asian or Asian American).
Starting Over, however, is a pretty tempting show to audition for.
I've been at my job, using my education to a certain degree, for over a year. I have been out of school for 4 years now and I want this job to be my last architecure-related job. It is my day job/meantime job. I do photography on the side but I don't really get paid to do. I am investing alot of time and money to develop my skills, increase my technical knowledge and develop a portfolio so I can get magazine work. Two to three side projects are underway and one of them is close to print. This struggle has be trying and very beneficial but it hasn't been financially rewarding - yet.
Everyone who knows me knows that I am very driven. I am also very accepting of struggle and growth. There times when I get real burnt but I take my necessary breaks before I continue to persevere. I just hope that all of this isn't all done in vain. That would suck.
Lately I've been thinking alot about what kinds of changes need to be made. I know what I need to do in terms of portfolio, I am fully aware of the buisness aspect and my technical skills are increasing wtih each semester, but I feel like there is another missing factor. Other than the obvious (money), sometimes I think it's time. Other times I think it's opportunity. And at other times, I dunno what it is.
So I am wondering, will this reality show Starting Over define the missing factor(s)? Would I benefit from it as a viewer or as a potential participant?
There are some drawbacks to all this. The most important one is PRIVACY. I value it so much that I wouldn't want it violated and just participating violates it 100% - even if I was good at keeping family and personal life as confidential as possible. The other would be my parents disowning me due to some sort of public humiliation. Just by being on this kind of show might reveal to the world their failure parents. Well, that is how they would see themselves. And that is probably how all my relatives would see them, too. Then there's the distance of being away from all my peoples and especially my boyfriend. I can't handle isolation. And did I mention loss of privacy?! People would see me in my Coke-bottle glasses!
Now to be more optimistic, there are great and possibly profound things that could happen. I'd get out of a rut. I'd be more empowered. My life would change and it's definitely needs it. I would be in better shape because I'd work out more just thinking that if I did make it I need to loss a few pounds to look good. I'd be networking and establishing other contacts. I could get great coaching and critique.
There are alot of pros and cons. Losing privacy is the biggest con and gaining a stronger hold on my career change is the biggest pro. The question is: Is it really worth trying out for?
No comments:
Post a Comment